Monday, April 9, 2018

Canon

My husband Phil and I celebrated our anniversary this past week by having dinner at one of the hottest new restaurants in town, Canon. This East Sacramento eatery has been popular since the day it opened, so I made sure to get a reservation a couple of weeks ahead of time.


The dinner menu, which changes seasonally, currently has four vegan small plates. I chose three of them to try. The first was the pickled vegetable plate, consisting of house-pickled cauliflower, carrots, cucumbers, and onions. They were served on a bed of crushed ice, which I thought was a nice touch. This dish looked much prettier when it arrived at the table, but I started to serve myself before I took the picture, and then had to try to put everything back where it was.




Next, I had the citrus salad, which was my favorite dish of the three. It had orange and grapefruit slices, thin strips of sweet potato, and generous portions of avocado, which were coated in red quinoa and then fried. The salad was dressed with a green curry emulsion.




My last dish was the roasted carrots, which were served in a West African peanut sauce with crispy kale, onions, cilantro, and peanuts. I liked the creamy peanut sauce, which really enhanced the flavor of the carrots.




The one vegan dish I didn't try was the charred broccoli di ciccio, with kimchi vinaigrette. Next time...


Canon is located at 1719 34th Street, and their phone number is 916-469-2433. Their website address is https://canoneastsac.com/, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/canoneastsac/. Canon is open for dinner Tuesday through Thursday from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m., Friday from 4:00 p.m. to midnight, and Saturday from 5:30 p.m. to midnight. They are also open for brunch Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., but their brunch menu doesn't list any vegan options.


2 comments:

A Da Vigo said...

I want to try it!

Pam said...

You’ll be in good company — seemed like half of Sacramento was there!