Monday, August 15, 2016

Fish Face Poke Bar

Recently, I had lunch at Fish Face Poke Bar with Bethany Davis, the mastermind behind the annual Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge. She introduced me to the poke bowls at Fish Face -- a fun create-your-own meal that includes vegan options.


Each poke bowl includes green and white onions, seaweed, sesame seeds, protein, and sauce. The only vegan protein available is the tofu and cucumber option. The only vegan sauce option isn't listed on their online menu, but it involves sea salt and oil. There are also several ingredients you can add for an extra cost. Make sure to let the cashier know you're vegan when you're ordering your bowl and they'll help you navigate the choices.


During this visit, the restaurant was out of cucumber, so they let us substitute mango along with our tofu. I got the Small Fish combo, which includes a side dish and a drink. I ordered sushi rice for my side dish, and had it split between my bowl and Bethany's. I had them leave out the onions and the seaweed, but I added rice crisps for a little extra crunch. I thought the mango gave a nice fresh flavor to the bowl, and I really enjoyed it. Bethany had pretty much the same thing, except that she kept the seaweed and onions in hers.






I went back to Fish Face for lunch last week. This time, cucumbers were available, so I had the Small Fish combo with tofu and cucumbers. I omitted the onions but left in the seaweed, and added rice crisps and avocado. For my side dish, I ordered brown rice. This turned out to be a very satisfying lunch.




Fish Face is located inside the WAL building at 1104 R Street, and their phone number is 916-706-0605. Their website address is http://www.fishfacepokebar.com/, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/Fish-Face-Poke-Bar-659933180803974/?fref=ts. The restaurant is open daily from 11:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.

No comments: