Monday, October 5, 2015

Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge 2015 -- The Porch

The Porch is always one of my favorite restaurants to visit during the Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge. The menu changes frequently during the challenge, so you never know what exciting vegan masterpieces you might encounter.


My husband Phil and I went to the Porch for dinner Saturday night, and there were lots of choices on the challenge menu. Since the vegan desserts at the Porch are always spectacular, I didn't want to fill up too quickly, so instead of getting an appetizer, I ordered the special cocktail on the vegan menu -- the Farm to Smash. It was a tasty mix of vodka, lemon, grapefruit, and muddled red bell pepper, served up in a Mason jar.




For my entree, I got the soyrizo and rice tamales, served with green tomato-tomatillo salsa and vegan sour cream, and with a side of cole slaw. The tamales were really, really good. In fact, I wish they were available on the Porch's regular menu. Other dishes on the challenge menu Saturday night were the green veggie bisque, Porch pickle jar, crispy fried hominy (why didn't I try that?!), sauteed seasonal veggies, shaved broccoli salad, and Frito pie.




Two vegan desserts were on the menu: banana mocha cake and a chocolate-whiskey poached pear. I opted for the poached pear, and I was so glad I did. Look at this gorgeous dessert -- a perfect pear poached in whiskey and vanilla bean, then dipped in dark chocolate and served with vanilla bean-coconut creme and pecan pralines. If it's still on the menu when you go to the Porch, I highly recommend it!




The Porch is located at 1815 K Street, and their phone number is 916-444-2423. Their website address is http://www.theporchsacramento.com/, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/ThePorchRestaurant?fref=ts. Lunch is served Tuesday through Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Dinner is served Monday through Thursday from 5:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m., Friday from 5:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., Saturday from 4:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., and Sunday from 4:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

No comments: