Monday, October 19, 2015

Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge 2015 -- Evan's Kitchen

Chef Evan Elsberry at Evan's Kitchen has been participating in the annual Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge for many years. In fact, he has embraced the challenge with such enthusiasm that he offers tasty vegan options for breakfast, lunch, and dinner year-round.


My husband Phil and I had dinner at Evan's Kitchen Saturday night so I could check out this year's Sacramento Vegan Chef Challenge menu items. There was a nice selection of appetizers, soups, salads, entrées, and desserts to choose from. Since I always love the soups at Evan's, I started my meal with a cup of split pea and rutabaga soup, garnished with vegan sour cream and a beautiful star anise. The soup had an excellent flavor and left me wondering whether I should have ordered a bowl, rather than just a cup.




For my entrée, I ordered the crispy tofu and sticky orange stir fry. This colorful dish had a nice mix of textures and flavors, from the crunch of the tofu to the tang of the orange sauce. Very nice!




This gorgeous strawberry salad was my dessert. It consisted of a scoop of strawberry-red wine sorbet surrounded by raspberries, blackberries, and strawberries. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful meal!




Evan's Kitchen is located in the 57th Street Antique Mall at 855 57th Street, and their phone number is 916-452-3896. Their website address is https://www.chefevan.com/home.html, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/evanskitchen/timeline. Vegan options are available all day long, with breakfast served Tuesday through Sunday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., lunch served Tuesday through Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and on Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., and dinner served Tuesday through Saturday from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

2 comments:

Corey Cananza said...

I’ve tried all three diets- veganism, vegetarianism, and a meat diet and I’ve always felt the healthiest with a vegan diet. Eating meat always made my energy levels decline and milk and eggs did the same but to a lesser degree. Plenty of protein can be found in so many natural vegan sources so the myth that vegans don’t get enough protein is wrong too. Keep up your good work.

Pam said...

Thanks, Corey. I completely agree about the vegans don't get enough protein myth. I've been vegan for thirteen years, and protein intake has never been an issue.