Monday, September 21, 2015

Nido Bakery



Nido Bakery opened recently in the space on R Street formerly occupied by Magpie Cafe. Nido, which means "nest" in Spanish, is one of Magpie's bakeries. Yellowbill at 14th and O is the other one.


I stopped in for lunch last week and asked at the counter what was vegan. I was told they could make a vegan soup and salad combo. The bean soup with roasted vegetables and miso was really good, although it would have been better had it been served hot, rather than lukewarm. The salad was a burst of colors and flavors -- mixed greens, several varieties of tomatoes, and Kalamata olives. Presumably the salad dressing choices at Nido are not vegan, as I was given oil and my choice of vinegar (red wine, rice, or white wine) for my dressing.




For dessert, I had the peanut butter sandwich -- two delicious peanut butter cookies with a peanut butter filling. And then, just because I can never resist, I ordered a small container of the wonderfully rich and creamy chocolate and avocado mousse to go.






Nido is located at 1409 R Street, and their phone number is 916-668-7594. Their website address is http://www.hellonido.com/, and their Facebook page can be found at https://www.facebook.com/Nido-1507441546213542/timeline/. The bakery is open Monday through Saturday from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., and Sunday from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

No comments: