Monday, September 24, 2012

Sunflower Drive In

I had one of those days last week when I just wanted to go out for a good lunch without having to ask a lot of questions about what was in the food. So I took a drive up to Old Town Fair Oaks and had a nutburger at the venerable Sunflower Drive In, which has been serving vegan and vegetarian fare for more than three decades.

The menu at Sunflower says to specify if you're vegan, so that's what I did when I ordered my nutburger, which is a nutmeat patty on a whole wheat bun. It's loaded up with sauce, onions, pickles, tomatoes, lettuce, and sprouts. The burger is crunchy and delicious and very filling. I also ordered a tasty vegan potato salad to go with it.

Other vegan options include a millet burger, tacos, falafel, burritos, and tostadas. There are natural juices and smoothies, as well as vegan side dishes and desserts.

It takes a little while for them to prepare the food, so while you're waiting, you can sit at one of the tables outside the restaurant and admire some of the famous Fair Oaks chickens like the one in the picture below, who sat on the ground nearby, probably hoping I'd send a few morsels his way.

Sunflower Drive In is located at 10344 Fair Oaks Boulevard in Old Town Fair Oaks. The phone number is 916-967-4331, and the website address is http://www.sunflowernaturalrestaurant.com/. The restaurant is open Mondays and Tuesdays from 10:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Wednesdays through Saturdays from 10:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and Sundays from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.








No comments: