Monday, April 30, 2012

The Green Boheme


UPDATE: THE GREEN BOHEME HAS CLOSED ITS CAFE AND IS NOW OPERATING AS A LEARNING CENTER


One day last week, I had an overwhelming urge to eat lunch at a restaurant where I wouldn't have to think about which menu options were vegan and which were not. So I drove over to Del Paso Boulevard and settled in at the Green Boheme, a small cheerful cafe that serves gluten-free raw vegan food.

The French Toast sounded really good, made from sweet bread with coconut yoghurt and applesauce, but I wasn't in the mood for breakfast. So I ordered the Wedge Salad that was listed on their specials board. It was excellent, consisting of lettuce, sprouts, tomato, avocado, radish, and vegan versions of bacon, feta, and ranch dressing. I ate every bite.

I ordered Horchata to drink, a beverage usually made from rice and milk. The tasty Green Boheme version had the consistency of a milkshake, with ingredients including Brazil nuts, banana, vanilla, coconut water, cinnamon, dates, and chia seeds.

Although the Horchata was quite good, I would rather have had a lighter drink, especially the Mate-LimeAde or Mate-LemonAde. But here is my one caveat for vegans dining at the Green Boheme. Even though the menu is almost completely vegan, they do use honey in some of their drinks, including the ones that I wanted to order. So be sure to check the ingredients listed on the menu if you want to avoid honey.

For dessert, I ordered a Chai Spice Macaroon, described on the menu as "Coconutty heaven with hints of cinnamon, vanilla, nutmeg and a touch of cardamom." I can definitely vouch for the "heaven" part. I'll be sure to order that again on a future trip to the Green Boheme.

In addition to serving wonderful raw vegan food in their cafe, the folks at the Green Boheme offer classes and pre-paid food plans. The Green Boheme is located at 1825 Del Paso Boulevard, between Arden and El Camino. Their phone number is 916-920-4278, and their website address is http://thegreenboheme2.blogspot.com/. The cafe is open Monday through Wednesday from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., and Thursday through Sunday from 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.


No comments: