Monday, March 19, 2012

Bangkok@12

I had lunch last week at Bangkok@12 Thai Restaurant. It was a very rainy day, but the place was packed. Fortunately, the server was able to find a small table along the wall for me.

I don't know how I've managed to miss this restaurant, which has an extensive vegetarian menu. Most of the Thai restaurants I've written about offer various combinations of vegetables and spices with a choice of meats or tofu. This restaurant offered those dishes as well, but they also had numerous other choices for vegans, including appetizers, salads, soups, stir fries, and curries. They also have five vegetarian specialties, and I decided to try one of those, the Vegetarian Hot Plate, which consisted of mixed vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, onions, zucchini, mushrooms, bell pepper, baby corn, and carrots) and tofu in a chili garlic sauce with basil, served with rice. It was very flavorful and the portion size was generous. I also had a cup of the soup of the day, Tom Yum Jay, which is described on the menu as "Mix vegetables and mushrooms in a hot and sour soup and a touch of lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves." It was quite tasty too.

The vegetarian menu lists several rice and noodle dishes. However, most of them contain either eggs or egg noodles, so if you're vegan, watch out for those items. It appeared to me that the only potential vegan item in that section of the menu was the Bangkok Street Noodle dish.

Bangkok@12 Thai Restaurant is located at 900 12th Street, at the corner of 12th and I streets. Their telephone number is 916-443-5588, and their website address is http://www.bangkok12restaurant.com/. They are open daily from 11:00 a.m. until 9:30 p.m.

No comments: