Friday, December 16, 2011

Monsoon, Cuisine of India


UPDATE: MONSOON, CUISINE OF INDIA, HAS CLOSED

I noticed yesterday that the new Monsoon, Cuisine of India, restaurant had opened in midtown.  So I called in a take-out order and tried a few of their dishes for dinner last night.

I started with the vegetable samosa appetizer, four small turnovers filled with seasoned potatoes and peas.  They were flaky and delicious, and I'm sure I'll order them every time I go to Monsoon from now on.  I also ordered the aloo gobi, which is a cauliflower and potato curry toasted with ginger and cumin seeds.  I think it was the best aloo gobi I've ever eaten.  The third dish I ordered was the vegetable biryani, which consisted of seasoned rice with vegetables, mostly potatoes, mushrooms, and bell peppers.  The entire meal was excellent.  I shared it with my son Zack, and he thought it was delicious too.

There appear to be several vegan options on the Monsoon menu:  tomato soup, vegetable pakoras, grilled fresh vegetables, a few of their curries (eggplant, chickpea, or okra), and one of their dal (lentil) entrees.  I know I'm going to enjoy eating at this restaurant!

Monsoon is located at 1010 16th Street in the space at 16th and K formerly occupied by Spin Burger.  Their phone number is 916-469-9999, and their website address is http://www.monsoonsacramento.com/.  The restaurant is open from 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. Friday and Saturday.


No comments: